PDA

View Full Version : Can RG59 cable for a security camera be buried underground?

OrionGadgets.com

need advice
05-15-2011, 01:15 PM
I would like to install an additional security camera in a shed which is about 50 feet from my house. I have enough rg59 cable with power to do the job, but it has to be run underground. Can I bury this camera wire underground without having any problems? If not how should I run it or can I use this cable at all?

vidan
05-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Depending on where you live, you can run the cable in a PVC conduit and bury it. Just take care to waterproof each end of the conduit where the RG59 and power cable goes in and out of the conduit and you should be fine for years.

burgman
05-15-2011, 05:20 PM
You can either buy RG59 burial cable which is more expensive or just run the underground PVC pipe for such a short run. That wont be too expensive or time consuming except for burying the conduit.

siamese cabler
05-15-2011, 07:52 PM
I would like to install an additional security camera in a shed which is about 50 feet from my house. I have enough rg59 cable with power to do the job, but it has to be run underground. Can I bury this camera wire underground without having any problems? If not how should I run it or can I use this cable at all?

Run the camera wires in a conduit or an old garden house if you like and bury it. Just keep the water out of the pipe or hose. The garden hose method if you keep the water out will work fine if you are a do it yourselfer

HARRY357
05-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Run the camera wires in a conduit or an old garden house if you like and bury it. Just keep the water out of the pipe or hose. The garden hose method if you keep the water out will work fine if you are a do it yourselfer

I never would have thought about using a garden hose to bury some coax??? I guess if you are doing a cctv installation yourself for your own house, why not. If I hire someone to do this though i would expect them to use the right camera wiring and underground wiring methods.

frankiee
05-23-2011, 06:48 PM
I never would have thought about using a garden hose to bury some coax??? I guess if you are doing a cctv installation yourself for your own house, why not. If I hire someone to do this though i would expect them to use the right camera wiring and underground wiring methods.

There are folks here who are do it yourselfers and I think the old garden hose idea is a clever cctv installation trick. Of course we all wouldn't expect a pro security installation company to do something like this but I think it clever. I know a guy who ran the electrical cables for his boat davit motors in high quality new garden hose in saltwater from the dock, buried under the muck somewhat and up the other side. May probably last as long as liquid tight electrical tubing...

cctv vixen
06-03-2011, 07:49 PM
A garden hose to run cctv cable under ground. What a fabulous idea!

parallel network
06-05-2011, 01:08 PM
I think that is ingenius. But only to come in handy in a pinch. The problem would then be that the ends would have to be properly sealed to keep out water and bugs. Might be a problem if the garden hose is small diameter though.

fdilodilo
06-20-2011, 10:43 AM
garden hose was a fabulous idea and it will work, sealing both end will not be a problem if it was literally installed up to a safe end . also this is cheap and easy to install compare to conduit.. great thinking:D

kitia
03-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Thanks folks for the idea as I have been asking myself the same question. I need to position one camera at the gate facing the front door. I did not like the idea of installing a socket at the fence. Burying the camera cable using a garden hose is a swell idea.

Scotty
04-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Very good idea i would never have thought of using garden hose but will remember it if i ever need to run cables underground not that it will be any time soon as I live on the top floor of a block of flats.

Dave from ACS alarms
04-19-2013, 08:51 PM
We use corrugated flexible 20mm conduit all the time and I bet it is cheaper than garden hose ? With the added advantage that it can be fit with purpose built end boxes . But I do agree the garden hose idea is brilliant !