Thread: NVR or DVR, what is better

NVR or DVR, what is better

I had a question on what is better to use in a cctv system, a digital video recorder or a network video recorder?

A network video recorder can only use IP cameras connected to it directly or with encoders. A digital video recorder only accepts analog coaxial cable inputs, unless it is a hybrid. Please specify what type of cctv cameras you are planning to use before we can go any further in answering your question.

Hello Semco, Analog cameras use digital video recorders, IP cameras use network video recorders.

dvr's versus nvr's. Really a good question. Yes as said above, you need to decide which cctv camera you want to use first, IP or analog. But there is much discussion in the industry about the feasibility of ip based camera systems in this economy. My advice is based on what is really happening now...all cctv manufacturers are making ip cctv cameras now. That should say something.

Well maybe I mean in a new installation where you need the highest quality video for criminal prosecution purposes in a large retail store, what would you use, IP cameras?

Analog cameras versus IP cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Semco View Post
    Well maybe I mean in a new installation where you need the highest quality video for criminal prosecution purposes in a large retail store, what would you use, IP cameras?
    Well I believe that if I needed to meet the parameters you suggested above, I would use an IP megapixel cctv camera. When you say IP camera you do not necessarily mean megapixel. But when you say megapixel CCTV camera you always mean an IP camera only.

I prefer NVR's now as compared to digital video recorders. Of course i also prefer using ip cameras.

dahua NVR7432-16p

i am looking to buy dahua nvr7432-16p

i want to use 16 ch for now but in the future i will add more. maybe use all 32 ch. so, i want to know if i use 16 ch, what frames per second will it record at 16ch at 1080p?